Basic Journalistic Story
Students will produce a news package on the subject of their choice.
- Advancing learning with the three stages of production: Preproduction, production, and post-production
- Conducting an interview
- Developing a written script to facilitate the visual story.
- Development of camera techniques and visual narrative storytelling
- Further understanding of narrative and documentary
- Brainstorm ideas for your project. Write a brief statement articulating your story idea, story angle as well as the name and title of the individuals you will be interviewing.
- Research background information from credible sources.
- Prepare questions for each subject being interviewed prior to actual filming.
- Complete a shot sheet detailing the specific shots you plan to use.
- Film interviews and b-roll footage
- Record additional audio for project including VO and NAT sounds.
- The finished piece must be between 2-3 minutes in length.
- If school camera or editing equipment are unavailable for any reason, this project can be completed with a cell phone and phone editing application. This assignment can be done either inside or outside of class. Topic may be assigned by the teacher or the student may be allowed to select a teacher-approved topic.
- Three stages of production
- Brainstorming and planning process (Shot sheet)
- Shot composition, camera technique/operation, editing techniques
- Basic interviewing techniques
- School camera / cell phone
- Editing software / video editing app
- Grading according to the attached rubric